Thursday, September 5, 2013

Northwest Trek

For Labor Day, we wanted to do something fun as a family, since Ben rarely has time off of work. We didn't want to drive too far though, so I spent a bit of time looking for ideas for something fun to do close by. I came across Northwest Trek and remembered a friend telling me it was pretty cool, so we decided to try it out.

It's kind of a cross between a zoo and a nature preserve. Their main attraction is an hour long tram tour through their free-roaming area to try and spot animals in their natural habitat. I was a little worried it wouldn't keep the kids' attention... especially Ellie.

It was awesome!

We saw ALL the different types of animals that live in the free-roaming area of the park and all three kids loved it!

09 02 7web

09 02 6web

09 02 37web

The big-horned sheep were just chillin' right next to the road. 

09 02 12web

09 02 10web

09 02 9web

I got super excited when we spotted this baby deer up ahead, thinking I'd get a great close-up of it.

09 02 13web

It got spooked when a buck came walking towards us, though, and ran away. I got a good closeup of the buck... he walked right up to the tram without a care in the world.

09 02 15web

We saw all four of the park's moose standing together really close to the road, which the tour guide said she's never seen before! (Yes, I realize there are only three in the picture.)

09 02 17web

09 02 18web

The elk were farther away and harder to see, but at least we got a glimpse of them.

09 02 22web

09 02 44web

09 02 49web

09 02 51web

The animal I was looking forward to seeing most was the bison. Maybe because I didn't see any when we went to Yellowstone this summer, I don't know. They were right next to the road, though (and some of them were even ON the road) so we got a great view of them!

09 02 24web

09 02 25web

09 02 32web

They even had a couple of babies.

09 02 36web

At one point during the ride, we came to the top of a hill and had this spectacular view:

09 02 41web

After the tram ride, we enjoyed the walking exhibits and the beautiful forest scenery.

09 02 54web

The only thing I got a picture of before my camera battery died was the bald eagles, but we also saw foxes, a wolf, bobcats, skunks, a wolverine, beavers, owls, and a bunch of other fun things.

09 02 2web

Last, but not least, a phone pic of my supper cute munchkins. :)

IMG_0374web

I'm really glad we went to check this place out. It was the perfect day trip and a lot of fun!

No comments: