Thursday, December 5, 2013

The baby bump

I haven't blogged much about this pregnancy (aside from the "Yay! We're having a baby!" post and the "It's a girl!" post), so I figured I'd give a little update as I near the end. As of today, I am 38.5 weeks and my due date is next Saturday (the 14th).

The progression of the belly (in crappy phone pics)...
Belly_web

A few thoughts on this pregnancy, in no particular order....

*This little girl is by FAR my most wiggly baby. She moves around so much more than any of my other babies did! At every single one of my appointments, the midwives and their students always exclaim over how much she moves. When they try to listen for her heartbeat, she either punches and kicks the doppler the whole time or squirms away from it so they have to reposition it to hear.

*I have felt much better in the last half of this pregnancy than I have in my others. I'm sure it's because I actually exercised (until 34 weeks) this time. I have gained less than 40 lbs. as opposed to the 55-60 I gained with my other babies. My face also hasn't ballooned like it usually does (knock on wood!).

The pic on the left is from today and the pic on the right is a few weeks before Ellie was born...

Face_web
(I know the angles here are different.... and the giant piece of cheesecake in the one pic doesn't help much either... but you get the idea.)

*I am much more nervous about having this baby than I was about having the others. I'm not sure if it's because four kids sounds like a lot, or because the the dynamics of having a two year old and a newborn at the same time scares me, or because I have the added responsibility of homeschooling the boys this time around. It's probably a little bit of everything.

*We still don't have a name picked out. Big surprise there! (not.)

*We are having this baby at home. No, we haven't employed the services of a witch doctor or a she-wolf. ;) Yes, there will be midwives present (three of them to be exact), and yes, they will bring all the medical equipment they could possibly need with them. With Ellie, we almost didn't make it to the birth center in time, and we certainly wouldn't have made it through check-in at the hospital. Rather than have that scary and extremely uncomfortable experience again, we opted to stay home. As of tonight, there is a huge birthing tub set up in Ellie's room and it's making the whole thing seem very real now!

*As of two weeks ago, I have been instructed to stay away from sugar for the rest of the pregnancy. What a terrible time of year to try to obey that rule! I've been doing a decent job of it though, if I do say so myself.

*Ellie still doesn't really get the whole idea of the baby yet, I don't think. She will mention the baby in my tummy and I've talked to her about how the baby will come out soon and be her friend. She says, "Yes! Baby be my fwen and pway wif me!" (Baby be my friend and play with me.) It's super cute. :) The boys are excited too, although their excitement for the baby is very much overshadowed by their excitement for Christmas.

My friend Lori talked me into having a little maternity photo shoot done today. She did a fabulous job of making me look good even though I really feel like a beached whale these days. Here are a few of my favorites...

12 04 82web

12 04 57web

12 04 154web

12 04 90web

The kids were obviously not dressed for pictures, but they got in on the action, too. :)

12 04 141web

I just loved this one of Asher. Sweet little Asher is the most likely to give my belly kisses and hugs. :)


12 04 119web

Can't wait to meet you, little baby!!

No comments: