Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer Trip Part 2- Utah!

Ready for another LOOOOONG post? Of course you are! ;)

On the 4th of July, we said goodbye to my family and drove from Rexburg down to Utah to visit Ben's family. We spent the evening chatting over dinner while the kiddos played in the water in the back yard.

07 04 283web

07 04 276web

07 04 268web

07 04 240web

07 04 249web

07 04 252web

07 04 254web

07 04 282web

07 04 280web

07 04 259web

07 04 260web

Brrrrrr

07 04 267web

07 04 284web

Poppers
07 04 271web

When it got dark, we went to see the fireworks. We sat right under them and it was a great show! Ellie sat so well through the whole thing, too. I was impressed!

Afterwords, we did our own fireworks and the kids (and some of the adults) really loved it. I decided not to lug my camera around all night, but I caught the pretty sunset as I was walking to the car to put my camera away for the evening.
07 04 288web

The next day, we drove down to Provo for the day. We had a nice visit with my Grandpa Johansen and then met up with my Grandma Harding and cousin Crystal at the mall. It's quite the drive for them to come up from southern Utah, so I was glad I got to see them!
IMG_20120705_164404

After that, we spent the evening with good friends. Somehow, the only pictures I got were these of Ellie and Lyndsay riding in (or pushing) the wagon, with a little help from Asher...
07 05 221web

07 05 222web

07 05 211web

....and one of the guys playing basketball.
07 05 213web

It was a fun night though, and we were glad to be able to see everybody again!

On Friday, we drove up the canyon to Huntsville to go shooting with Ben's dad, his sister Aariel, and her husband Kristofor. My boys were in heaven. All three of them.
07 06 186web

07 06 171web

07 06 167web

07 06 165web

07 06 169web

07 06 174web

07 06 189web

07 06 195web

07 06 204web

07 06 206web

An apple that Ben shot
07 06 207web

Ellie wouldn't keep ear protection on (surprise, surprise), so she and I went into town to explore. My ancestors are from Huntsville and I hadn't been there since I was really little, so I thought it would be fun to look around. I'm glad I did! I found this cabin that belonged to one of my ancestors:
07 06 153web

Ellie in front of the cabin
07 06 154web

As well as this statue that my Grandpa Johansen sculpted.
07 06 158web

07 06 156web

I also found the names of my grandparents and great grandparents on this plaque honoring the people who helped settle Huntsville.
07 06 161web

07 06 160web

07 06 162web

I ha no idea that any of these things existed, so I was pretty excited to find them.

Pretty scenery on the way to Huntsville.
07 06 208web

When I got back to the shooting range, Ellie had fallen asleep, so I got to shoot a little bit too. Ben helped me with my form. Really, I think he just wanted to put his arms around me. ;)
07 06 176web

07 06 180web

That night we were treated to a yummy dinner, courtesy of Lynette, and  then we went to the drive in to see Brave and The Avengers. The movies were good, but honestly I don't see the appeal of the drive-in. It was late, cold, hard to see, and hard to hear. Give me a good old movie theater over the drive-in any day. Still, it was fun to hang out with friends.

On Saturday, we had our big Jensen/Peterson family party. We hung out family reunion style.... complete with croquet, volleyball, and the "guess the number of candies in the jar" game.
07 07 036web

07 07 130web

07 07 143web

07 07 146web

07 07 147web

07 07 152web

There were water squirting things, so of course a water fight was inevitable. (P.S. This is the last picture you will see from this event where Ellie is still wearing her shorts. It didn't take her long to find the water puddle and sit in it.)
07 07 044web

The buckets were for refilling the water guns but Ben decided a better use for them would be to unexpectedly dump one on Michael.
07 07 042web

Someone didn't change into his swimsuit before getting wet like I asked him to.
07 07 050web

Lynette brought cupcakes to celebrate our four one-year-old (or almost one-year-old) babies. We sang to them and then they dug right in!
07 07 055web

Ellie
07 07 060web

Irelee
07 07 062web

Clover
07 07 063web

Nixon
07 07 064web

Ellie couldn't stuff hers in fast enough.
07 07 068web

07 07 073web

Amy won one of the jars of candy in the guessing game....
07 07 100web

07 07 101web

...and Chris won the other FOUR. (He guessed three of them right on the dot!)
07 07 103web

Evan and Ben built a bird house, which Evan was extremely proud of.
07 07 109web

07 07 104web

07 07 123web

There were also beads for making bracelets and necklaces, so I made a little bracelet for Ellie.
07 07 110web

Asher and Ellie enjoyed blowing bubbles. Ellie thought it was hilarious.
07 07 112web

07 07 122web

Ellie was LOVING the watermelon. She polished off her first slice and tried to eat the rind. She was SO MAD when I wouldn't let her!
Watermelon_web

I got her a new one and for some reason she wouldn't hold it. I put it on the ground thinking she'd pick it up, but she improvised. Silly girl.
07 07 139web

What a fun day with the family!

That night, Rileigh chopped my hair off for me. She always does such a fabulous job and I've been drooling over this haircut forever, trying to get brave enough to do it. I love it!

(It's a crappy arm's length photo, so it' doesn't show the haircut well, but you get the idea.)
07 09 002web

On Sunday, we packed up and made the drive home. It was sad to leave after such a wonderful, short visit, but it did feel good to get home. Those big, green, pine tree covered mountains looked so pretty and welcoming. :)
07 08 002web

07 08 006web

07 08 019web
Excuse the blurry spots.... our windshield was pretty buggy by this point! 

That night, we fell into our beds exhausted.... always a sign of a great trip! :)

1 comment:

alanna said...

Looks like fun!

And love the hair. :)