Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Homeschool

I have thought a lot about homeschooling since Evan was about two. A woman at church, who had only sons, mentioned that she homeschooled her boys because traditional school just isn't set up for the way that little boys learn. That made so much sense to me, based on my experience with my own son's personality, (Anyone who knew two year old Evan knows this is an understatement! lol) and I've thought and read a lot about it since then.

When Evan started kindergarten, it wasn't realistic for me to homeschool him since I was helping out at the office, but at the end of last school year, when he asked if I could homeschool him this year, I knew it was time to give it a try.

So far, it has been wonderful!

 The freedom to speak his mind, move around, and take a hands-on approach to learning has been wonderful for him. Having one-on-one time for me to connect with him has been wonderful for both of us as well. Sure, there is still some sitting and traditional book work involved, and he does do a little bit of grumbling every now and then, but after a year and a half of watching him struggle through school and hate it more and more, he has finally regained an enthusiasm for learning. He's actually excited about what he's learning for the first time in a long time.

09 13 1web

You would have thought it was Christmas when the homeschool stuff arrived. There were "oooh"s and "aahhh"s the whole time I was taking everything out of the box.

IMG_20120906_171859web

He loves that he gets to "play with blocks" in math.


09 13 5web

First science experiment

09 17 1web

Today's experiment

09 19 18web

09 19 19web

Both boys are attending the homeschool class at the YMCA and LOVING it. As soon as I pick them up, they start raving about all the things they did. The class is two hours long... the first hour is in the pool and the second hour is in the gym.

IMG_20120918_141354web

IMG_20120918_160557web

Of course there are wonderful benefits to traditional school as well- Asher is loving his kindergarten class at the elementary school- but at this time, for Evan specifically, I think homeschool is going to be so good for him. We're both really excited about this year!

4 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm so glad to hear that homeschooling is going well! It looks like you have a lot of fun stuff going on!

alanna said...

Sounds fantastic Li. I love that you're doing what you feel is best for each child individually. That's really great. :)

Brein said...

Good for you! I wish I had more patience and could do something similar with Jameson! Evan is such a smart kid and it will be good for him to move at his own (faster) pace!

Bec said...

You're such a good mom to help your boy out like that. I didn't realize he had struggled so much with school. I'm so happy to hear that he's enjoying learning again, though! Go YOU, Mommy! Love those kiddos. Give 'em a squeeze for me!