Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pirate Party

Evan had a nice little birthday weekend. On Friday, after Ben got off work, I took him to the video store and let him pick out a movie and then we ordered pizza and had a family movie night. Yesterday, my family (parents, brother, sisters) came down to wish Evan a happy birthday and to take him out to lunch. He chose McDonald's, so off we went to eat and play at that wonderful establishment (remind me never, ever to go to McDonald's on a Saturday at lunch time... especially if said McDonalds has a play area!!!). The kids had lots of fun.

After lunch, we went to check out the fish tank at Ben's office, which everyone thought was pretty cool, and then we went home for Evan to open his presents from Grandpa and Grandma. This age is so fun for presents because they get SO excited about the present, no matter what it is. :)

02 27 010web

Airplanes from Grandpa and Grandma:
02 27 014web

Grandpa and Grandma also brought bunk beds for the boys, which was super exciting! Thanks guys!!

After presents, I attempted to make a birthday cake shaped like a pirate ship. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, and it ended up being a bit of a stressful ordeal, but I made it through with some help from my mom and some laughing and making fun from my husband, brother, and Dad. It wasn't the best looking pirate ship cake ever, but Evan loved it and that's what matters.

Pirate Ship Cake

02 27 017web

I couldn't believe how messy my kitchen was after I was done! The aftermath:
02 27 022web

02 27 023web

After the cake ordeal, my family left to head back home and we started to get ready for the party. Evan kept insisting he wanted a Spiderman party, even though he isn't even into Spiderman. So, I kept trying to find a different theme that he'd be excited about. He rejected several of my ideas until I offered the idea of a pirate party. He thought that would be pretty cool, so that's what we went with!

We had pirate food, complete with fish (crackers) and "cannon balls" (grapes)
02 27 030web

We had pirate hats...
Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!!
"Arrrrrggghhhhhh!!"

Cute pirate

....pirate signs....
Beware of pirates

...and pirate gold, carried by mini pirate ships (party favors):
Pirate gold

Evan had fun opening his presents
02 27 041web

and blowing out the candles.
02 27 048web

The cousins had a blast running around together (and playing with aunt Stacy!). It's pretty hard to get a good picture of 4 small children, but the "outtakes" are fun, too. :)

02 27 054web

02 27 055web

This one is my absolute favorite. I don't know why Evan looks like he's going to punch someone, but Asher's face is priceless!
02 27 051web

Evan told me this morning that he had so much fun last night, so I guess the party was a success.

We were lame and forgot to wrap the presents from us in time for the party, so we gave them to him today after church. He got a "mission vehicle" (basically a big truck with lots of guns)
02 28 003web

and a scooter.
02 28 005web

He'll also be getting a bunch of soccer gear for this coming soccer season.

It was a great weekend full of fun! I think we're all exhausted and ready to get back to normal, though.

Or maybe that's just me. ;)

2 comments:

Meggan said...

I cannot believe all that you did for this party. The cake. Awesome! Did I see jello water? And the favors, too cute! Loved the hats. I am going to have to remember this a few years from now when luke is a bit bigger, and yes, Asher's face looks so funny in some of those pics. Too cute. Looks like boy birthday heaven!

Bec said...

How fun! I think the cake looks great, though I don't envy the cleanup. Ugh. Cooking is great but cleaning... not so much. Also, I love how grown up Evan looks in a shirt and tie! Very fun party. I'm glad it was a success.