I started this tank in January. It's a 90 gallon mixed reef tank, which means that I keep a variety of different corals with a few fish and other things. The tank is plumbed to circulate the water to another tank kept below the display tank which holds approximately 25 gallons of water. This is where I keep most of my equipment so it doesn't clutter up the display tank.
The key to saltwater reef tank is quality of water and lighting. Fish and corals are very intolerant of big changes in water conditions, so keeping the tank at certain levels is crucial. Corals are also partly photosynthetic. They filter the water for food but also have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria (which gives them their color) which is photosynthetic and the corals consume their by-product. So in essence you are replicating the ocean and the sun. Getting the tank up and running correctly is the hardest part. Once it's there, anybody can keep a saltwater tank.
This is the tank before water was put in. The lighting is not as blue as the camera makes it appear. You can see the sump underneath the tank and some of the lighting.
Here is the tank when it was first set up.
Here's the tank now. You can see a lot more life going on. The purple spots on the back is corraline algae, which is a calcified algae. You can see snails along the wall as well. You can't tell but I have about 120 snails and crabs in my tank which help clean up un-eaten food, fish waste and nuisance algae.
Here's one of my clown fish and his anemone. The anemone recently split so now I have 2. It's called a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone because of the color and because the tentacles have areas that look like a bubble is trapped. It needs good light and eats small shrimp.
This is a Favia on the left and a fungia plate coral on the right. The one on the right will eat anything it's tentacles can catch.
More corals and some fish
The coral in the background is called a Frogspawn. The fish in the front is a pajama cardinal. I have 2, the one there is Big Bob and the one up and to his left is Tiny Tim. You can see most of my fish in this picture. They recognize me when I move up to the tank and they must've thought I was going to feed them.Anyways. That's a few pictures of my new hobby. I could keep going but I can tell it's boring people already!



5 comments:
I like it! I've been wondering what your tank looks like. It's very pretty - *cough* I mean, it's very cooool.
I like the fish with the yellow lips. He looks like he means business.
Sooo....you never have to clean it right?
Looks awesome Ben. What a fun hobby.
I have a magnetic scraper that I use on the glass ever 2 or 3 days. There's also a protein skimmer in the sump that helps filter out junk out of the water. I have to clean that about once a week. So really nothing big. Like I said, setting it up right is the key. If you ever want to set one up, let me know! That's the funnest part for me.
is this in your office or your house?
So I always thought (okay, still do... jk) that you were kinda nerdy with all this tank-obsession. But seeing it all makes me understand why! It's amazing!!! It's like Finding Nemo IN YOUR OFFICE! Very cool. Very pretty. Very obsession-worthy. :) Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment