Friday, October 12, 2012

Salmon!

I am continually amazed by the cool things we can see here in this part of the country. I feel like this summer has been so full of wonderful, beautiful things. Beaches, rainforests, lakes.... We are met with spectacular views even when we are just driving down the freeway. I wonder if I'll ever stop feeling like I need to pull over and take a picture every time I see Lake Washington peeking through the trees and shimmering in the sun as I drive past.

I hope not.

The other day, the kids and I stopped and watched the salmon swim up the river. We didn't have to go anywhere special or make a long drive. We just stopped at our favorite walking trail on the way home from the grocery store and there they were.

IMG_20121005_145501web

They have a huge contraption set up in the river to catch the salmon and take some of them back downstream to a hatchery. The boys enjoyed watching the trap full of salmon flopping around. We also watched several flop up onto the grate and then flop themselves back off. I pulled out my trusty phone camera to snap a few pictures. I just love how straight and still the boys are standing in this one. :)

IMG_20121005_142420web

While we were there, a huge truck pulled up (so we moved to the other side of the river) and we watched as the workers walked out into the river with their waders and a net and bagged up fish after fish and loaded them into the truck. 

IMG_20121005_143932web

IMG_20121005_144010web

Miss Ellie didn't care too much about the fish, but she was pretty proud of herself for climbing up onto this wall over and over again.

IMG_20121005_143908web

IMG_20121005_143859web

After that, we enjoyed a nice little walk along the trail.

Hey guys! Wait for me!!

IMG_20121005_140736web

IMG_20121005_140741web

No comments: