Sunday, May 12, 2013

Staycation!

I know.... it's been forever since I've posted and I'm sooooo behind! But today I'm going to catch up a little bit with this post that I've been meaning to type out for weeks now...

Early in April, Ben had a chance to use up a few of his leftover vacation days before his contract started over, so we had him to ourselves for a whole weekend! We thought about going somewhere, but in the end we decided to have a mini "staycation" and we did a few touristy things while we had the chance.

On that Thursday, we took the kids to the Point Defiance Zoo, which was a lot of fun. We haven't been to the zoo since Ellie was too small to care, so it was really fun to go again. This zoo was a pretty good one, too.

I was able to take a total of two pictures with my camera before my battery died. *sigh*

04 11 3web

(The kids loved this little white fox.)
04 11 5web

The rest of the pictures for the day were snapped on Ben's phone.

The polar bears were probably the coolest part of our visit. We made sure to go see them while it was feeding thime and the bears get right up close to the windows.

photo-3web

photo-4web

photo-2web

They also had a pretty cool aquarium, which is the main reason why Ben chose this zoo instead of the one closer to us.
photo2web

photo3web

photo-1web

The hurricane simulator!
photo_web

On Friday, we took it easy most of the day and then we took the kids to see The Croods in the theater.

On Saturday, we had some friends watch the kids for us while Ben and I went on a whale watching tour! It was really fun and so nice to spend the day together. We boarded the boat in Seattle and it cruised up through the islands in the sound. We found a pair of gray whales and stopped to watch them for a while.

You could tell when they were going to surface because they would blow a puff of mist right before they come up:

04 13 26web

Then we could sometimes see the top of the head (the orange part):

04 13 28web

The most common sight was the lumpy spine right before the tail, just before they dove back under:

04 13 24web

It's crazy how big those things are, and kind of weird to imagine them swimming around and under our boat! It was really neat, though.

We also saw some seals.

04 13 9web

04 13 11web

Even though the day was overcast, the scenery was just gorgeous. It was a little chilly out on the deck of the boat, but we came prepared. :)

04 13 19web

04 13 18web

We stopped in Coupeville on Whidbey Island for a couple of hours to have lunch at a fun little local soup and sandwich spot and then wandered around for a bit. The clouds even broke and gave us some sunshine.

04 13 35web

04 13 53web

04 13 44web

04 13 39web

04 13 60web

04 13 48web
(I know it looks like I'm wearing a mini skirt, but I promise it's just my shirt coming out from my coat!)

04 13 58web

Our boat (the big one with the red and blue design) and Ben:
04 13 43web

It was a super fun weekend, and we really loved being able to spend so much time with Ben!

I promise I have more catching up to do. Hopefully soon.....

1 comment:

Brein said...

That looks so fun! It's starting to get so hot here, we need to come see you soon!